Essential Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- What information do I need to help me make a decision about treatment?
- What information do you use to make treatment recommendations for me?
- What are your realistic goals for my treatment?
- What are the chances that I can be cured?
- What are my chances of a long-term response with good quality of life?
- Are there clinical trials available to me?
- How will I feel during treatment? Will I be able to work?
- Take care of my family? Travel? Be around young children?
- What help will I need in managing the side effects of treatment? When and for how long?
- Should I consider a second opinion regarding my diagnosis and treatment?
- Are there different approaches to treating my kind of cancer?
Order the Take Charge Toolkit with Essential Questions in our
online store for FREE and take it with you to your next appointment.
Be Your Own Advocate
Ask Your Physician About Care Planning
Learn about best practices, sample templates, and more.
Teamwork: Start a Conversation
For more about talking to your oncologist and other medical professionals, check out our publication “Teamwork: The Cancer Patient’s Guide to Talking With Your Doctor” online or order a low-cost copy from our store.
Health Care Professionals:
If you are a health care professional and would like bulk quantities of the Take Charge Toolkit with Essential Questions, please visit our online store.
“The Essential Questions” © 2013, National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship. All rights reserved. This material may not be reproduced, displayed, modified, or distributed without the express prior written permission of NCCS. For permission, contact email@example.com.