Guide to Calling Members of Congress to Urge Support for H.R. 2477, Planning Actively for Cancer Treatment (PACT) Act of 2013
- To find your legislator’s direct line, visit www.house.gov/representatives/ or call the Capitol Hill operator at 202.224.3121.
- If you know a staff member at the D.C. or district office, ask to speak with that person. Otherwise, ask to talk with the legislative assistant responsible for healthcare issues.
- Identify yourself as a constituent.
- Indicate your relationship with the National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship, a patient advocacy group that advocates for quality care for cancer patients and survivors.
- Share a personal story if you have one, but keep it brief. The main objective for the call is to show constituent support for the legislation.
- If you are asked specific questions to which you do not know the answer, respond that you will have a staff member from NCCS follow up to answer your questions.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how it went, specifically the person you spoke with, the response and any questions or follow-up that we can do.
- I am calling to urge Representative _________ to co-sponsor H.R. 2477, the Planning Actively for Cancer Treatment (PACT) Act.
- The PACT Act is bipartisan legislation that will ensure that Medicare patients with cancer have access to cancer care planning and coordination, which will improve quality of care for cancer patients and reduce inefficiencies in the system.
- The bill is endorsed by leading patient groups and providers, including cancer centers.
- Can we count on Representative _________ to support the legislation?
Note: As of November 2013, the legislation has been introduced in the House of Representatives, but not the Senate, so please only call your Representative.